Find your job faster
Get notified when jobs like this hit the market
Whoops, we noticed something was incorrect...
Get new similar jobs by email for
We have an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical Engineer to be a part of our Civil Engineering Unit within Sydney Trains. This position plays a key role in conducting geotechnical investigations / inspections and preparing advice in relation to geotechnical issues facing Sydney Trains and clients to ensure the safety and reliability of rail operations is maintained.
This position entails undertaking and contributing managing the geotechnical risks, particularly for the South Coast Territory which extends from Tempe to Bomaderry. Typical projects include:
• TMP inspection for geotechnical risk assessment
• Geotechnical instrumentations and technological advances for monitoring of ground movement
• Opportunities for numerical modelling of various challenging geotechnical problems such as using OptumG2 and Rocfall
• Use of drone technology for geotechnical assessment and design
• Design reviews from external consultants
• Introducing new innovative technologies to manage the geotechnical risk
• Provide geotechnical support during stabilisation works
• Attend geotechnical emergencies when required
The Geotechnical Services team provides a wide range of geotechnical services to the rail network including appraisal of existing ground conditions, risk assessment of geotechnical assets and corresponding remedial design solutions combined with practical project specific geotechnical advice.
We are looking for someone tertiary qualified with a degree in Civil Engineering, be eligible for graduate membership of the Institution of Engineers, Australia and have 4-5 years’ experience in geotechnical field especially in the area of ground investigation, rockfall and landslide risk assessment, numerical modelling and geotechnical instrumentations.
You will have the ability to identify geotechnical problems as well as determine appropriate solutions aligning to relevant codes of practice, standards, and the regulatory rail and geotechnical engineering environment.
If you are someone who has good communication skills, a ‘can do’ attitude and enjoys working in a collaborative environment within a team that is passionate about safety then this role is for you.
At Sydney Trains, our vision is to keep Sydney moving by delivering safe, customer-focused, reliable and clean rail services.
We contribute to the success of transport in NSW by running efficient rail services which exceed our customers’ expectations, support growth and contribute to the broader community and the economy.
Joining Sydney Trains will present an exciting opportunity to shape the future and make a genuine difference for the people of NSW by providing a world class rail system.
Sydney Trains offers its employees challenging and rewarding work with opportunities for career progression, learning and development and work-life balance. Other benefits include:
For more information on Employee Benefits at Transport please click here.
Join Sydney Trains for the opportunity to shape the future and make a genuine difference for the people of NSW by providing a world class rail system.
Our commitment to Diversity
TfNSW are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture across the Transport cluster, planning for and promoting diversity. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse community groups and ages including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTI, people with disabilities, women and other diversity groups. TfNSW recognises the benefits that such an approach brings for our staff and customers in delivering the future of NSW.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and a suitability statement (no more than 2 pages) which addresses the below targeted questions:
1. With reference to the Position Description, state how your qualifications, skills and experience make you the best candidate for the role
2. Demonstrate your capabilities in landslide and rockfall risk assessment for slopes and corresponding geotechnical hazard management including in risk-based geotechnical design
3. Portray your hands-on experience in a range of geotechnical analytical and numerical modelling and ability to embrace new design philosophies and technological advances such as real-time geotechnical instrumentations and geospatial techniques applicable to geotechnical engineering.
For any enquiries, please contact Desiree Syamsuddin on 0478 209 778 and quote 000063YS
Please note: successful candidate will need to undertake background checks and criminal record checks.
If you encounter technical issues please contact I Work for NSW Support Team on 1800 562 679 (Mon-Fri) or firstname.lastname@example.org
For permanent positions in the NSW Public Sector, you need to be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. For most Temporary jobs, you need a visa that gives you permission to work in Australia. To be considered for these roles you must be 18 years of age. Applicants will need to complete merit based selection activities and will be subject to satisfactory medical, drug & alcohol and criminal record checks as part of the selection process. Please note that an eligibility list may be created for this position, and position(s) of the same classification that subsequently become vacant may be filled using this eligibility list (where the vacancy is within 60 minutes travelling time). Transport for NSW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with a disability are encouraged to apply.