Get new similar jobs by email for
Financial Accounting Officer
The National Blood Authority (NBA) is a statutory agency within the Australian Government health portfolio that manages and coordinates arrangements for the supply of blood and blood products and services on behalf of the Australian Government and state and territory governments. The NBA is a high performing agency with an excellent workplace culture.
Because it is a small Agency, the expectations of all positions in the NBA may be different from those in larger organisations. APS5 employees have to exercise higher order leadership skills and directly undertake lower order independent work when necessary in order to get the job done.
About the role
The Financial Accounting Officer will support the Chief Finance Officer in providing reliable, timely, and accurate financial information and advice to senior management by maintaining departmental and administered accounting operations, processing day to day financial transactions, and preparing monthly reports for internal stakeholders.
The successful person will have a flexible approach and a can do attitude, excellent interpersonal attributes, enthusiasm for delivering outcomes, a high level of attention to detail and accuracy and strong written and verbal communication skills.
Although the following is not exhaustive, it is an expectation that this role will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Deputy Chief Finance Officer and Senior Finance Manager in the maintenance of the financial accounting operations to achieve agreed performance standards and goals.
- Processing and analysing the financial transactions of the Authority including, but not limited to:
• Processing of all accounts payable and receivable transactions
• Processing and maintaining General Ledger transactions
• Preparing and processing of credit card acquittals
• Preparing the monthly Business Activity Statement (BAS) with a sound understanding of GST
• Assisting with end of month processes and reconciliations, payroll, and salary sacrifice arrangements.
- Processing and maintaining the banking and treasury functions of the Authority, including the monitoring of bank transactions and balances, and the calculation and processing of drawdowns.
- Preparing internal financial reports, including monthly performance and activity reports.
- Assisting with the preparation of the Authority`s annual financial statements as directed by the Deputy Chief Financial Officer.
- Providing professional services to help the NBA meet best financial practice standards and the high corporate governance requirements expected of the NBA under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act (2013).
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of accounting policies and instructions to support the Authority`s operations, including continual improvements of the entity`s financial management processes and procedures.
- Assisting with inventory stock takes.
- Relevant tertiary or professional qualifications in finance, accounting and equivalent work experience are desirable.
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Excel and experience in the use of a Financial Management Information System.
As this is a Designated Security Assessed Position (DSAP) at Negative Vetting - Level 1, the successful applicant must be an Australian Citizen capable of obtaining and maintaining a security clearance at this level. A loss of security clearance may result in termination of employment.
You are required to address the selection criteria (maximum 300 words per criterion), submit a copy of your resume/CV and complete an NBA Application Cover Sheet. The selection criteria and NBA Application Cover Sheets can be found at https://www.blood.gov.au/current-vacancies .
It is an expectation that all NBA employees will perform their jobs professionally, respectfully and pleasantly and in accordance with the principles and practices of workplace diversity, workplace participation and in support of a safe working environment.
About National Blood Authority
The NBA is a small portfolio agency of the Department of Health with an employee base of approximately 55 employees. We are based in Lyneham in the ACT and as a high performing, award winning statutory authority, the NBA is focused on "Saving and improving Australian lives through a world-class blood supply". With this vision at the heart of our NBA community, we strive for high achievement whilst enjoying a strong team spirit and respecting healthy work life balances. We are committed to excellence in servicing the Australian blood sector and work cooperatively with our stakeholders which encompasses all governments (state-based and Commonwealth), clinicians, the health sector and the Australian community.